Problem Importing CityGML File

EonStrife

Problem Importing CityGML File

Post by EonStrife » Fri 10. Nov 2017, 02:59

Hi,
I am using :
CityEditor Evaluation (2.9.1 Build 848) in SketchUp Pro 2017 (17.2.2555 64-bit).

I am trying to import the CityGML file from a website :
CityGML File : First v2.0 CityGML - CityGML_2.0_Test_Dataset_2012-04-23.zip

However, I didn't manage to import it succesfully, as the importing process had been going on for around 24-hours and it had not finished yet.

I attach screenshots of the steps I took when I tried to import the model. For 24 hours, it kept showing something like in "Capture 15.JPG".

Thanks.
Attachments
CityGMLTest.rar
(457.86 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

Buss

Re: Problem Importing CityGML File

Post by Buss » Fri 10. Nov 2017, 08:23

Hello,

I managed to reproduce your issue.

In the import dialog, you added the directory of the dataset as the import source for CityGML data.
Doing this adds all citygml files within the directory and it's subdirectories to the conversion process.
The issue in this case is, that the dataset contains other example models in the CityGML_2.0 directory.
Because of that the model boundary is huge, you have appearance themes which aren't part of the actual model and so on.

To fix this, you can either add all 6 citygml files belonging to the model directly or remove the CityGML_2.0 directory, which is not needed by the model.
Import1.png
Selection of CityGML files
Import1.png (38.9 KiB) Viewed 362 times
I also changed the LoD Filter to include all geometries within the model. If it's set to "highest", that it will only import the geometries with the highest LoD within the model and discard all others.
You should also take note of the Appearance Theme field. If there is one defined, like in your screenshots "Summer", than it will only import the appearances belonging to the theme "Summer" and ignore all others. The "Summer" theme is part of the example models in the subdirectory and not of the actual dataset model. If it's still in the input field within the dialog, than you have to remove it manually in order for the exported model to have the correct textures and colors.
Import2.png
Selecting no appearance theme
Import2.png (28.31 KiB) Viewed 362 times

EonStrife

Post by EonStrife » Sat 11. Nov 2017, 10:29

Hi Buss,
Thank you so much, it works :D

I have another problem with anoother model, but most likely it is unavoidable. It is the CityGML file of Amsterdam in https://3d.bk.tudelft.nl/opendata/3dfier/ .
After a while, my computer gave out because it ran out of memory and my computer restarted itself. Most likely because the size is just too big.

Thanks.

Buss

Post by Buss » Mon 13. Nov 2017, 11:36

Hi,
the model of Amsterdam is a bit to big to use in SketchUp.
You can make use of our Gridding option, which will split the citygml model into multiple SketchUp models.

The Gridding Tab is available in the wizard after the coordinate system page.
In order to use gridding you need to enter a valid coordinate system.
The model of Amsterdam uses a coordinate system, which the current CityEditor does not support. In order to make use of the gridding anyway, please enter 25832 into the SRID field in the "Coordinate System" Tab. This is just a workaround in order to use gridding with the currently unknown coordinate system. This workaround will not be required anymore in the next CityEditor version.

On the following page in the "Gridding" Tab you can then activate gridding and use 1000 model units as the grid size.
After the import is done you will have abound a hundred SketchUp models with a size of about 100MB or less in most cases.

EonStrife

Post by EonStrife » Tue 14. Nov 2017, 02:56

Hi Buss,
Thank you so much, let me try the Gridding option.

Btw, back to the previous 3D model, the CityGML_2.0_Test_Dataset_2012-04-23.zip one. It has 39 textures, but then when I export it to other 3D format (either FBX, 3DS, or OBJ), I will always get 3000+ textures (it looks like the 39 textures are cut into small pieces during importing). Is there any setting where I can prevent the splitting ?

Just as a background why we do this evaluation: We need to import 3d objects with CityGML format into Unity, but Unity does not have CityGML importer. So we are trying to convert the CityGML objects into FBX formats first before importing them into Unity.

Thank you very much :D